Thursday, November 20, 2014

"The World's Most Trusted Airline"

Because I'm flying this Thanksgiving break, I was inspired to look up some airlines' advertisements to see what kind of methods they used to convince viewers to utilize their services. I chose this ad because I found it really interesting how a piece of luggage is the main center centerpoint.




Rather than offering useful information on the Airline itself, Delta features the journey of a single piece of luggage making its way onto the plane. First of all, the appearance of the luggage, being a bear-like creature with overalls practically suggests it is a living being that has feelings and cares about how it's handled. This personification of the luggage coupled with an innocent sounding melody establishes an emotional connection with viewers. This is an example of how a company can influence viewer's opinions of them by presenting to them exactly what they want to see. Most of the targeted viewers love to get new stuff and thus care quite a bit about their belongings. The Delta advertiser said it himself: "On time flights are nothing if we can't get your things there too."

I think Delta might be trying to establish "loyalty beyond reason" and an iconic place in the hearts of its customers and/or its potential customers. Delta is already a very well-known company, however its popularity doesn't compare to that of Apple. It seems as if Delta is moving towards a goal of making people think of Delta when they think of planes, much like when people think of music devices or tablets they think of Apple.

Personally, this ad doesn't motivate me to consider Delta over any other airline. I've never really heard of an airline that isn't willing to transport belongings for its passengers--so that doesn't separate Delta from its competitors. Delta mentions that they have the fewest cancellations and the most on-time flights, which is definitely a plus, however it isn't really enough to convince me to fly Delta. Maybe if Delta added a couple more facts like that they fly to the most destinations world-wide or that they have the best pilots and the safest aircrafts my opinion would be different.



1 comment:

  1. Cool commercial, I like the way that the suitcase was a bear because it is the cutest looking suitcase in the world. I felt so emotionally attached to this suitcase, i would have shed a tear if it was misplaced. The commercial did really good at getting me realled in and my attention on the commercial. A cool part of the commercial was the way the bag went thru the x-ray machine, showing a skeleton. I think they are trying to show that they would care as much about your suitcase as they would a living creature which is cool. All and all cool commercial.

    ReplyDelete