Sunday, January 4, 2015

Aesthetically Sensational Billboards

Billboards are one of the most common types of advertising in this day and age. We pass them in our cars everyday and sometimes don't even pay attention to them. However, some companies have begun to think outside the box and make billboards more exciting and appealing to people. The most effective way companies accomplish this is with the use of the emotional need for aesthetic sensation.  Here is one of my favorite examples:
This billboard is likely to catch most peoples' eyes. Its a creative and unique idea that defines the company as creative. If I were to see this brand of paint at the paint store, I would immediately consider buying it solely because the company's billboard is creative and attention grabbing. The greenish paint color was probably chosen to express the company's prosperity and wealth, as companies often use psychological color tactics (especially on billboards).

Here is another example of the need for aesthetic sensation on billboards:

The man shown in this billboard for the Calgary International Film Festival is crying actual water. It enhances the advertisement greatly by addressing not only the emotional need for aesthetic sensation but also the need for curiosity. Upon seeing this ad, my first thought was whether the water was fake or not. Because of my curiosity I was drawn in and gave the ad a closer look and discovered that the water was indeed real. As a result of the emotional needs exemplified in this ad, it is very effective in notifying people of the Calgary Film Festival.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the clever design makes the advertisements much more memorable. One reason for this is that, at least in this case, the 3-dimensional design brings the advertisement into the real world and makes the product more tangible. Also, when we see that a company has created a clever ad, we subconsciously assume that the company is intelligent and therefore must be trustworthy and reputable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were to pass by the top billboard, I'd definitely pay attention to the ad. I would probably just look at the paint though, actually when I looked at it just now I didn't even notice the left and right panels. As for the second one, the photo itself makes me wonder why his face looks like that, and on the left side I could not see any tear lines at all until I had to look closer. So, I'd say that the first ad is a good attention grabber, and the second makes me question what it is, so it serves its purpose.

    ReplyDelete